The collection contains a significant group of materials on each of the following topics. Search the individual topic by subject in Library Search to locate these materials.
- African American …
- Agricultural laborers
- Anti-communist movements
- California – Politics and government
- Campaign literature
- Catholic Church
- Civil rights -- United States
- Communist Party of the United States
- Engels, Friedrich
- Equal Rights Amendment
- Gorbachev, Mikhail S.
- Hearst, William Randolph
- Human rights
- Industrial Workers of the World
- Ku Klux Klan
- Labor movement
- Labor unions
- Lenin, Vladimir I.
- Marx, Karl
- McCarthy, Joseph
- Nuclear disarmament
- Pro-choice movement
- Pro-life movement
- Reconstruction (1939-1951)
- Sex discrimination
- Sex role
- Soviet Union
- Stalin, Joseph
- Strikes and lockouts
- Trotsky, Leon
- United States. Congress. House. Committee on Un-American Activities
- United States -- Foreign relations
- United States -- Politics and government
- United States -- Race relations
- Vietnam War
- Women – Rights
- Women – Suffrage
- Working class
- World politics
- World War, 1914-1918
- World War, 1939-1945
Each of the following individuals is the author of a body of materials in the collection. Those preceded by an asterisk (*) were American communists or socialists. Search Library Search by the individual author to find these publications.
- Aptheker, Herbert, 1915-
- * Bittelman, Alex, 1890-1982
- * Browder, Earl 1891-1973
- Castro, Fidel, 1926-
- * Davis, Benjamin J. 1903-1964
- * De Leon, Daniel, 1852-1914
- * Dennis, Eugene, 1905-
- Engels, Friedrich, 1820-1895
- * Flynn, Elizabeth Gurley
- * Foster, William Z., 1881-1961
- Gorbachev, Mikhail Sergeevich, 1931-
- Kim, Il-song, 1912- (Korean)
- Lenin, Vladimir Il, 1870-1924
- Mao, Zedong, 1893-1976
- Marx, Karl, 1818-1883
- Molotov, Vyacheslav M., 1890-
- * Nearing, Scott, 1883-
- * Petersen, Arnold, 1885-1976
- Stalin, Joseph, 1879-1953
- * Strong, Anna Louise, 1885-1970
A publisher's ideological slant is a central characteristic in evaluating polemical literature. Publishers are indexed as "authors" of their publications when no personal author is named. Search the individual organization in Library Search by author to locate these materials.
- American Civil Liberties Union
- American Friends Service Committee
- Common Cause
- Communist Party of Great Britain
- Communist Party of the USA
- Emergency Civil Liberties Committee
- Foreign Languages Press
- John Birch Society
- Know, Inc. (women's issues)
- Labor Research Association (U.S.)
- Labour Party (Great Britain)
- League for Industrial Democracy
- New Century Publishers
- New York Labor News Co.
Novosti Press Agency (Moscow)
- Pacifist Research Bureau
- Pathfinder Press
- Victor Gollancz (London)
- Workers Library Publishers
Archival and Manuscript Materials
Archival and manuscript collections are described in detail in searchable, online finding aids in the Online Archive of California. Follow the links below to view the complete finding aids. Numerous archival collections documenting political issues in Orange County, California, are also found in the Orange County collection, described separately on this site.
- The courage to remember: the Holocaust, 1933-1945: posters
A set of forty published posters based on a Simon Wiesenthal Center traveling exhibition about the Holocaust.
- New York Workers School materials, 1926-1935
Materials documenting courses offered by the New York Workers School of the Communist Party USA.
- Orange County Holocaust Oral History Project interviews
Videorecorded interviews with residents of Orange County, California, who are survivors of the Holocaust. This collection is not yet organized; please contact us for more information.
- OSPAAAL poster collection
Posters published between 1967 and 1997 by the Organization in Solidarity with the People of Africa, Asia, and Latin America (OSPAAAL).
- Paris revolt
Documents the protests and general strike that took place in France in 1968 when Parisian students and workers protested against American involvement in Vietnam, as well as for a better educational system and working class rights. This collection is not yet organized; please contact us for more information.
- Times Change Press political posters, 1970-1974.
Collection consists of seven posters published by Times Change Press (New York City) on a variety of national political issues, including political activism, voting, demonstrating against the Vietnam War, Ho Chi Minh and Che Guevara. This collection is not yet organized; please contact us for more information.
- United Farm Workers Information Fair collection
Fliers, newsletters, photographs, and ephemera used at a United Farm Workers (UFW) fair held in 1969. Documents the UFW and its formation, the Delano Grape Strike (1965-1966), migrant agricultural workers’ living and working conditions, and other topics.