California Printers and Publishers
The following books offer a good overview of fine printing and printers in California over the past century.
- A Natural History of the Typestickers of Los Angeles, Compiled from the Letters of Wm. M. Cheney. William M. Cheney and Edwin H. Carpenter, compilers. Los Angeles: Rounce & Coffin Club, 1960.
- Fine Printing: the San Francisco Tradition by James D. Hart. Washington D.C.: Library of Congress, 1985.
- Fine Printing: the Los Angeles Tradition by Ward Ritchie. Washington D.C.: Library of Congress, 1987.
- Fine Printers: the New Generation in Southern California by Ward Ritchie. Sacramento, Calif.: California State Library Foundation, 1988.
Printing, Typography, and Design
The following books address typographic and other design concerns of finely printed books.
- Five Hundred Years of Book Design by Alan Bartram. New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press, 2001.
- The Ideal Book or Book Beautiful by T.J. Cobden-Sanderson. Eugene, Or.: University of Oregon, J.H. Nash Fine Arts Press, 1933.
- On Printing by William Everson. San Francisco: Book Club of California, 1992.
- Typologia: Studies in Type Design & Type Making by Frederic Goudy. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1940.
- A Century for the Century: Fine Printed Books from 1900 to 1999 by Martin Hunter and Jerry Kelly. New York : The Grolier Club, 1999.
- The Typographic Book, 1450-1935 by Stanley Morison. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1963.
- The Ideal Book: Essays and Lectures on the Arts of the Book. William Morris. Berkeley, Calif.: University of California Press, 1982.
- The Well Made Book by Daniel Berkeley Updike. West New York, NJ : Mark Batty, Publisher, 2002.
- The Design of Books by Adrian Wilson. Salt Lake City : Peregrine Smith, Inc.; 1974.
The following classic periodicals are among the most important that focused on typographic and other design issues of finely printed books.
- The Dolphin. New York, 1933-1941.
- Fine Print. San Francisco, Calif., 1975-1990.
- The Fleuron. London, England, 1923-1930.